Saturday, January 7, 2012

Less money available in 2012 for Illinois college students - Wendell Hutson, Chicago City Hall Examiner

When Antonio Solsberry graduated from Hales Franciscan High School on Chicago's South Side in 2009 his goal was to earn a bachelor’s degree in psychology four years later.
But as 2012 quickly approaches Solsberry, 21, is struggling to finish college due to state budget constraints, which are hindering his ability to stay in school. “I attended a private college in Missouri my freshman year but it became too expensive so I decided to transfer to an Illinois college so I could receive more financial aid,” explained Solsberry. “The reality though is that I am receiving less financial aid now than when I was an out-of-state student.” The state’s grim financial position has resulted in cuts to colleges particularly the Monetary Award Program, whose budget was reduced by $17.2 million.