Saturday, October 22, 2016

Budget cut woes not over for EKU - Kendra Isaacs, Eastern Progress

Eastern’s budget constraints are far from over after the Kentucky Supreme Court’s recent ruling against state aid cuts imposed earlier this year by Gov. Matt Bevin. This summer Bevin agreed to return 2.5 percent of the 4.5 percent he had cut. EKU received a refund of $1.8 million at that time. The Supreme Court’s Sept. 22 ruling says the remaining 2 percent, roughly $1.3 million, will be returned to EKU if Bevin does not appeal the ruling. The university has not received a timeline of when these funds are scheduled to be dispersed. Whenever the refund is distributed it will just be returned back to the university reserve, Middleton said. The ruling does not affect the 4.5 percent cuts that are still in place for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 fiscal years. Unlike the executive order cuts overturned by the court, “those cuts were approved by the General Assembly last spring [2016],” Middleton said. http://www.easternprogress.com/2016/10/06/budget-cut-woes-not-eku/

No comments:

Post a Comment