Monday, June 27, 2022

Doubling Down on Digital Rights Colleges must take steps to protect the privacy of students and staff attending online meetings - Zachary Michael Jack, Inside Higher Ed

“Do you record class? … Just curious.” The question, chatted in the middle of a recent online session, stopped me cold. I reassured my student that no, I was not recording, and if I intended to do so, I would definitely let them know in advance. Strongly implied in their query were two corollaries that troubled me: 1) that the student’s other professors were recording online sessions held via our campus’s learning management system and 2) that it was not always clear to students how, when and why they were being recorded. And if students are to professors what professors are to college administrators, why had I, as a faculty member deeply concerned with digital privacy, not dared to follow my brave student’s lead, asking tough questions of college administrators who opt to host and record meetings via proprietary video platforms like Zoom?

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2022/06/21/colleges-must-double-down-digital-privacy-opinion