Sunday, March 11, 2012

College Affordability and The Latina/o Student: Some Advice - Charlene Callazo, Latin Voices

With so much policy discussion centered on the affordability of higher education, some students may be second-guessing whether attending college is right for them. In the state of Florida alone, lawmakers are considering a $200-$500 million cut in the higher education budget and allowing smaller colleges to raise tuition by 3%. A possible increase in community college tuition could be negative on the access of higher education, especially Latina/o students who are more inclined to attend these colleges because of its affordability and closeness to home. As a former Latina college student, I understand the dilemma of the college student on a budget. I attended a university that was close to my home, but I paid most of my way to complete my degree. As a Latina who worked through college and learned some hard financial lessons along the way, I do understand that our attendance and perceptions of college is different than other students. That is why I have compiled an advice list with the Latina/o student in mind.