Wednesday, November 19, 2014

First college graduation, then the payments - David Jesse, Detroit Free Press

Mary Walsh is a little leery of getting the mail these days. She's not looking forward to getting the envelope with the first bill for her student loan. "I know in my head it's coming, and I've been planning to pay it, but I still don't want to see it ... it's going to take a big chunk out of my budget," said the spring 2014 Wayne State University graduate, who now lives in Lansing and works for a non-profit. Walsh is among thousands of recent graduates who have to make their first payments this month. Federal student loans give those with loans a six-month grace period from their last class before payments start. http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2014/11/09/student-loans-tips-michigan-default/18671933/